View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
RAV4 EV
Tesla Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
Yes, that's why you don't see many boat tails getting about even on EM.

To be remotely practical, a full boat tail would have to be mounted on some sort of trailer.

The tail wouldn't be nearly as long if you start with a more reasonable vehicle - a Prius for example.

You can truncate the tail at a point that gives you your desired length, but you won't get quite the full benefit.
I like the boat tail its just the rear wheels really need to be as close to the end as possible for best driving experience!

The trailer idea is nice, but I don't like the extra weight. Also more wheels. Plus lost space between the trailer and car, and also more weight! Driving on the high way would be limited to 55 mph I believe.

The prius is too slow and too small. Plus it still eats gas which means paying for gas. I had a nissan leaf for over a year and never paid for gas. My rav4 ev is over a year now and I still haven't paid for gas. Even with prius efficiency I'm saving almost 1k a year, so I'm getting close to 3k saved. I really only want an electric car at this point. I liked my leaf, but it felt too small. I was thinking on getting it stretched by 4 feet, but I got quoted 35k for the job, so I said no.

I think the longest would definitely be 5'6" which is 50% of the full boat tail length. That would place me 2" longer than the 2004 Chevrolet Express Long Wheel Base. I think that would be good for City Driving. Now, for high way driving I'm thinking perhaps keeping the extra 30% length (which I think would be about 3'3") in the vehicle and develop a system to attach it on the fly to the end of the boat tail so it can stretch to 80% total in the FWY. At least it seems that past 80% length in the temple just doesn't have as great a benefit at least from what I read in the above quotes?

I much rather just buy a car with a reverse wedge shape . Too bad no one is interested in those type of vehicles .

Oh, I think I could also get the boat tail to be shorter if I were to lower the SUV closer to the ground. SUVs stand pretty tall. Lowering it would make the template smaller when overlaying it. If I were to lift the SUV it would be worse. Anyway, lowering always has nice benefits.

I still wonder if the 80% of full boat tail length is just as Ideal as 100%?