View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 06:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I swear I updated this! I bought a fender, resonator, headlight, and bumper for under $200. The resonator was a pain because I could not find it on car-part.com, I called Pluck-A-Part, which had parts I needed, but the woman just said "That sounds like part of the engine. We don't have it."

It is mounted under the bumper. It is definitely not part of the engine.

The donor car had the resonator, but was a V6, and the part is different. I was worried that if the tread ripped out the inside of the headlight assembly it also damaged the wiring.

It did.

I went back to Pluck-A-Part, cut off the wiring, and noticed a nearby black Accord with a resonator.

I ended up ordering mine from LKQ and waiting days.

I bought a soldering iron and everything I felt I needed to splice properly, but my mechanic friend told me to just use butt joints. I did in the interest of time and tried to use heat shrink tubing, but that really does not work with butt joints. I tucked it into a split conduit and wrapped everything in electrical tape.

I also needed to bend some brackets back into shape. It seemed like none of the plastic fasteners I popped out were reusable. The guy at O'Reilly sold me two blister packs with two 5/8th Screw-In Rivets. I needed more, but that was all they had. I was surprised the Imperial fasteners fit my import.

As I mentioned in my Nowhere thread, as soon as I fixed my car and tried to leave town a van rear-ended me on the freeway. I still need to take a picture of my car with the replacement bumper and fender. The clear coat is flaking off the bumper, so when I have the time I will sand it down and repaint, but I definitely think the front looks better.

The rear bumper is worse for wear, but I expected far worse. I was not injured.