View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #433 (permalink)
Bill the Engineer
Master EcoModder

Beautiful, but frustrating weekend. I had a struggle getting a good weld on Saturday. Things kept getting worse and worse. Sunday morning I double-checked all of my settings on the welder. Everything was set right, but when I opened the valve for the shield gas, the gauges didn't move. (D'oh!) Rookie error!

So the first store I could get to that had welding gas on a Sunday was a half hour away. I get there, and they are out. They sent me to another location 45 minutes from their store, but also 45 minutes from home. (Big triangle.) I get there and get the fresh bottle, and when I get home it is already 3:15. So much for half of the afternoon.

I finally got underway making good (for me) welds again. First I finished up under the dash well enough that seam sealer will do the rest. Next I created top perimeter flanges for the fender bracket pockets on the firewall.

Then I fabricated the outer walls for the fender bracket pockets and welded them into place. They will drain into the air plenum at the bottom corner.

The fender bracket pockets are now sturdy and body sealer will close up any remaining leak points.

Next weekend starts paint stripping on the Prius v chassis where panels need to be welded onto it to mate with the body. Fingers crossed for more good weather.

Bill the Engineer
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill the Engineer For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-19-2020), slowmover (08-14-2017), Xist (08-15-2017)