View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by me and my metro View Post
Salt on roads kills cars but so does ice. I live on the West coast of the US, they do not salt the roads here.
Not ice, really. I live on the east slope of the Sierra Nevada, and ski, so I do a lot of driving in snow & ice. Roads do get salted a bit, though being semi-desert, not so much as in wetter places. I expect that after the ice melts and the road dries, the salt mostly blows away, rather than remaining as a corrosive liquid.

Anyway, there aren't that many rusty vehicles around - my '88 Toyota pickup is showing a little bit around the bed, but nowhere near becoming rusted-out holes. And of course my Insight is aluminum.

At least around here, one reason people keep older vehicles (besides not wanting the crap that comes on new ones) is that they tend to be a lot more rugged than fancier new ones. And if you use your truck for actual work - hauling firewood or hay, for instance - or drive on back roads, you don't have to stress out over the fear of scratching your shiny new toy's paint.