View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #88 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
I'm armchair (actually lawn-chair) engineering again. Here's something that turned my head today. There's a CNG station in town that I hadn't noticed before. Say I turned my 1985 VW non-turbo diesel into a pusher trailer for my Leaf and ran CNG fumigation with diesel as the ignitor?

Thoughts???

I understand that CNG has an octane rating of 130(R+M)/2 which is better than propane, so that ought to help keep detonation down with the 23:1 CR. It's also supposedly less noisy. I'd need a big expensive tank I'm guessing. I didn't check the price for CNG, but I'm paying $15 per month in electricity vs. $200 per month when I drove the Astro, so a bit on the expensive side once every month isn't going to kill me. This week I'm borrowing a car to go to Denver.

...My diesel has just been sitting there, waiting for attention. And with a good set of rims with all seasons and another good set of rims with winter tires...

Also, any suggestions on how to do the fumigation? This thing has a weird plenum/air filter unit with individual intake runners going straight from the air filter to the engine. Should I tap a fumigation orifice in each one or design another intake? Obviously adding a turbo would answer a lot but would be more expensive.

Last edited by Isaac Zackary; 08-17-2017 at 02:46 PM..