View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 12:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
I think you would do the best mpg with the pop up trailer. You should be able to get it to be pretty close to even improving the aero of the tow vehicle if matched well. Forester's don't do all that great to begin with though, and I bet you might beat the Forester/popup combo with a v6 diesel mid top Fiat, Sprinter, or whatever other mid size diesel contractor type vans they sell downunder. They can get over 20 mpg US where my Forester not towing is under 30 mpg. Hook 3000 pounds to the back and I'm sure it would drop to 20 or less. A good in between might be one of the 3.0 diesel mid size SUVs like the M class Mercedes, the Jeep Grand Cherokee, or the VW/Audi whatevers. They can get 30+ mpg US and would be less effected by the trailer, and allow for a bigger trailer to still be in the wake. What is the gas vs diesel cost at the pump in AU? Around here it's pretty close but some places they are different.

I just saw the V80 you posted, that will definitely beat a forester towing. What about a custom 5th wheel, popup camper pulled by that V80. That would tow like a dream, have lots of room, and be able to be dropped at a location while the cab is used by itself. A 5th wheel can have much closer gaps as well if designed right. I wish we had something like that here. The Fiat with the 3.0 VM Motori v6 diesel is about the closest (and I think it may not even be available anymore). A stripped down cab and chassis is about $35,000 US while a new Forester is just over $20,000.