View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_t View Post
Yes, caravans do have benefits, but so do motorhomes. When noise/disturbances across the road at 11pm has you wishing you'd chosen another spot to spend the night, just walk through to the drivers seat and drive away to another spot. Did this a few times during our around Australia trip. In general, motorhomes are quicker and easier to set up for the night, and get going for the morning. So better for shorter stays. Caravans, as you suggest, have benefits for longer stays.
We used to have a slide in camper that goes in the bed of a long bed full size pickup. A motorhome would be even easier to get on the move, but we did love that. My big plus was my wife and daughter are slow to get moving in the morning. A few times in Yellowstone park I would just up and start driving while they were still in pajamas sipping coffee in back. Then stop and get breakfast 30 mins later at a new spot, then again with lunch, etc. Sure there are $10 crappy burgers here and there in Yellowstone but only where the crowds are. Last trip we had the camper, nicer to sleep in, but we were on the road later every morning and usually stopping back by at some point during the day at least once. Not as good as having everything on your back, but it was easier to go more places without the heavy camper in the bed.