View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 08:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
s_t
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
We used to have a slide in camper that goes in the bed of a long bed full size pickup. A motorhome would be even easier to get on the move, but we did love that. My big plus was my wife and daughter are slow to get moving in the morning. A few times in Yellowstone park I would just up and start driving while they were still in pajamas sipping coffee in back. Then stop and get breakfast 30 mins later at a new spot, then again with lunch, etc. Sure there are $10 crappy burgers here and there in Yellowstone but only where the crowds are. Last trip we had the camper, nicer to sleep in, but we were on the road later every morning and usually stopping back by at some point during the day at least once. Not as good as having everything on your back, but it was easier to go more places without the heavy camper in the bed.

Sounds like some nice holidaying

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
(definitive design criteria)

Here is the motorhome design I showed earlier as a class-C.

While my donor chassis of choice was the Beetle, this could easily be a Sprinter van. The defining characteristic would be a second door frame cut into a wedge and added to the existing frame (aligned on the hinge line) so the door seals to it. This eliminates the dogleg most Class-Cs have.

You'll notice the geodesic layout can be read as diamonds, hexagons or triangles. The diamond layout define bands that run around the body. If the altitude of the diamond equals the width of your flexible solar panel they would integrate well.

Instead of folding solar panels, perhaps lightweight reflectors that would concentrate on the [minimal] panels?
Hadn't thought of creating a second door frame, that angles the door out gently! If it weren't for the window, it would be easier to just put an outer skin over existing door, tapering in thickness. But if I can get enough living area (in plan view) from longer length, then might not need to widen the body beyond the existing cab/vehicle width (lower frontal area).

Understand re the bands. The best is never easy is it - why can't the optimal shape be a rectangular prism though even that isn't too bad with some relatively simple mods according to the Cd figures in that NASA Dryden truck study!
The Following User Says Thank You to s_t For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-22-2017)