View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #142 (permalink)
ishiyakazuo
Test Tool Engr.

Red Rocket - '02 Honda Civic LX Sedan
90 day: 33.57 mpg (US)

Bronze Bucket - '98 Toyota Corolla VE
90 day: 34.97 mpg (US)

Silver Bullet - '06 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 31.58 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
You will be putting me in a very difficult position if you do.
That's fine. I don't think it's necessary to do, anyway -- these protocols are pretty straightforward. I think if we use ELM327 in the initial design, and then work on porting over protocols from open source implementations, we should be safe both from a legal/moral standpoint, as well as in mitigating risk.

I'm not trying to suggest anything either legally or morally wrong here. I do thank you for letting me know ahead of time if you think my suggestions breach standards. As they say, ignorance of the law isn't an excuse

In any case, it sounds like we have a path forward now. My opinion is that we should pursue all three options, but attempt to keep a common code base for the Arduino projects (w/ and w/o the ELM). I'm seeing this as a three-phase project:

1) Get the ELM327 working with Arduino
2) Get ISO/VPW working on Arduino
3) Port the ISO/VPW code to AT90CAN and add PWM and CAN.

This method provides people with the most choice over time. It guarantees that we have an Arduino implementation for ISO/VPW that people with Arduinos can pull down, and it gives us a good head-start on something to test the AT90CAN out with.

Thoughts?