Thread: Block heater.
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
JockoT
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
My thoughts were to switch the block heater on an hour before I need the car. It is in a garage, and because we are near the sea the outside temperature here seldom drops below 0°C. A 400 watt heater running on 12v would draw 34A. Leaving on an hour would need 34AH, hence a minimum of 50 AH battery. It would only be used for first trip of the morning, then on my return the battery would be taken into the house and charged up until the evening, when it would be reconnected to the car. The block heater would be fitted to the car and never removed.
An electronic timer, powered by the car battery would switch on the auxiliary battery/block heater an hour before I need the car.
I intend manufacturing a grill block, which for the 4 mile morning trip, would be closed completely, and opened up for my longer journeys.
There is insulation on the underside of the bonnet at present. Not very thick, but it is there. There is also a factory fitted undertray, which is reasonably full. For me to do any more is really beyond the tools and facilities I have access to.