View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Wisconsin EV tax rears its head again

(Sorry Ben it's too juicy)

In addition to the extra $25 wheel tax my county charges cars now there's...

Wisconsin state government is proposing an annual $125 tax on electric vehicles.
(There are still under 5000 true EVs in Wisconsin last I checked.)

The Governor refuses to raise gas taxes, He is fine with raising "Fees".
Just like venerable taxin Tommy Thomson

In short, the Governor wants to tax Electric Vehicles, because he doesn't have to call it a tax, and then borrow from our future to pay for roads.

Personally, I am not opposed to some sort of small appropriate fee for electric vehicles. A 30 MPG vehicle in Wisconsin, driving 10,000 miles per year would pay about $103 per year in WI gas tax. A Prius would pay about $62.

This tax is SPECIFIC to electric vehicles, and ignores mileage, use, and all other factors.
Electric vehicles are a tiny percent of total cars on the road. Adding a specialty tax to them is a drop in the ocean compared to the budgeting needed to maintain our roads.

This bill (unlike its predecessors) would specifically exempt Plug-In Hybrids (Chevy Volt, Ford Fusion Energi, etc.) Plug in-hybrids can run on either Electricity OR gasoline, and can be run EXCLUSIVELY on electricity if the driver chooses to do so.

The legislation can be seen at:
2017 Assembly Bill 478

Sorry again for posting but I like to have a united front against regressive taxation, especially when it's motivated to punish a certain group to make someone feel good more than actually raise funding.