View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #205 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
OK, I need help!

I'm trying to figure out how best to do an adjustable hot/cold air intake system for this car. I think i want something like a 2" T pipe with either a single flap in the middle that closes off one side of the other, or 2 "throttle body like" plates that link together (one on each side) that leaves one or the other open (or anywhere in between). I'm thinking this T would go right off the air box, letting one side aim towards the firewall and connect to the cat converter and the other somewhere down and into maybe the fender well area for fresh air.

Reason I want this setup is for pure control. I needed power on this trip going up those insanely steep mountains and getting 170*F intake temps wasn't allowing this!

So, any ideas? I know I saw where somebody did the exhaust cutout valve, but I'm trying to come up with a more "DIY" solution. I've considered an ABS Tee, or welding some aluminum pipe, but it always comes down to "how do I make the flap(s) for inside the thing?

If I had a 3D printer, I'd probably make 2 half-Tees that I could open up, put the flaps in with control rods, and close the 2 halves to make the full tee pipe. Not sure if 3D printing would actually hold up to those kinds of temps, though...

So, gimme some cheap DIY suggestions!