View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 03:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Thanks guys! I've wanted an EV since I was a kid and the itch kept getting stronger with all the options that are finally available. The Volt is the only EV* that fit the budget and could serve as our sole car without making longer trips a pain/impossible. We also considered a Spark EV to go alongside the Prius, but it's difficult to tell if they have the DCFC option (a must for me) when they're at auction and we wanted to stay a one car household (though we are considering keeping the Prius).
*I know it's technically a PHEV, but I consider it to be a full EV when operating on battery, given that it has full performance and capabilities when in EV unlike most other PHEVs that are slugs without their ICE running.

Charging with 120v is very slow when the battery is empty. I have to use the 8A limit because of the circuit I'm using, which doesn't help. I looking to buy a 240v EVSE or convert a 120v to speed things up. It just so happens that about a new L2 EVSE he got that's only $220, the AmazingE EVSE. I think I'll go with one of those.

Here's my Voltstats page. I signed up a couple days ago, so right now it only really shows the totals for the car's shamefully low efficiency before I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Have fun with your car, the Volt is much more smiles per mile than a Prii
if you want to improve gas mpg the Volt can be easily hypermiled in EV mode, more EV is the easiest economy improver. (Besides airing up tires and slowing down)

Also if you are jealous of Prii MPGs there is a
+ 5mpg & e85 tune available for the Volt which makes Volt gas economy identical to a gen ii Prii.

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...une-(Volterado)

There is also a +20% ev capacity mod
And an ERDTT disable app and mod.

As you improve your familiarity with the car you may find this happens
(See cool weather pic)
There's no denying that the Volt is more fun to drive than the Prius. So much zoom zoom and it even turns ok.

The first time I charged it, it estimated 38 miles of range. The next 2 charges showed 40, and this morning it showed 42. Today's driving wasn't that great, so we'll see what happens tomorrow after it charges.

That tune looks interesting, I'll have to look into that and see how much it would cost to do. Do you have a link for the +20% mod? I couldn't find anything about it in my quick search. I'm already planning on getting some sort of ERDTT disable mod done before winter, even with the heater I should be able to do my local driving on battery.

Is that your picture? 68 miles would be enough to make gen2 owners giddy, in a gen1 it sounds insane.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread