View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
ESmooth
EcoModding Lurker

2000 Civic EX - '00 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 36.97 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ESmooth
98 Civic EX manual, what can I expect?

Ive been on a quest to improve my mileage and have already started to use some techniques Ive read about the last few days, also have a scanguage on order. Ive been getting about 27-30MPG with mostly highway driving back and forth to work but that has been shifiting around 3000-3500RPM and doing about 80. I had already switched out to synthetic fluids and run my tires above their rated max at 42 PSI but I plan to try 50 and see how that goes. Just stated EOCing, shifting aound 2K RPM and trying to keep it under 65 on the highway (very hard to change habits though) so Im eager to see the results on this tank.

Without getting too crazy with the mods and techniques, what kind of goal can I expect to see? Id like to average around 40MPG but dont want to get my hopes too high. I live in the LA area with a freeway commute but am lucky in that I go in the opposite direction of traffic and my hours are not in the worst traffic times of the day. Im also in the process of optimizing the car by chaging the cap/rotor, adjusting the valves and timing, plugs, PCV, o2 sensor etc. Ill be cracking 200K miles on it in the next tank and Im not sure how bad it needs new parts since it runs really strong, doesnt burn oil and idles very smooth. Something I'm concerned about is clutch/starter life from doing multiple bump starts or cranking the engine per each trip. Has anybody seen part failures related to getting the car running again when EOCing?

Great site and info, Im definitely hooked. BTW my fun car is a 300WHP '06 STi that I road race which is anything but $$$, fuel or eco friendly. Figure I have to make up for it with the civic right?