View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #655 (permalink)
Rosieuk
EcoModding Lurker

Been following this for a while, interesting to see the original and the other car for comparison, ride height seems slightly different and is the bumper different too? I'm not too sure how it'd fare over here, not so much top speed, but acceleration. Although it'd like our roads around here, there's usually more road than pothole.
But I've a question. As I understand it, from whats been said on here - the closer you are in total engine power to the speed window that you use (in my case 0-75mph, 30-60mph predominantly) the more efficient.
My car, flat out will do 108mph on 86hp in top apparently (you'd have to be Stirling Moss, or tired of life), and 70mph is 3150rpm. It's a 12v and therefore feak and weeble until it comes on torque, which starts to happen just above 2200. If I disable a cylinder that gives me a 64.5hp triple and 70mph is almost 4000rpm, outside of the max torque window - but would it be overall more or less efficient, all other things being equal? This engine btw is a petrol motor and 90% of my driving is 30-60mph.. which would then be in the torque band.. it isn't at the moment. Have I read this right or am I completely up the wrong tree? 35mph on the triple would be 1875rpm, currently 1500. So 50mph would be right in the power band (2900).. 55 the sweet spot. Top speed would then be 81mph (using calculation of 108*0.75).
Also how would I go about it, this is a hydraulic lifter engine - I can pull the injector cable and remove the spark plug but won't that barf oil everywhere unless there's some sort of 2 way valve plug replacement? I seem to remember it'll send the oxygen sensors up the pictures as well..
would I be better off finding out whether the 0.719 top gear from the i10 would fit to replace the 0.825 I've got now? that's a 12.5% ratio change. But expensive if possible.