View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rosieuk
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
What Humbers did you have? Real ones or Sceptres?
I drove a super snipe once, a series car, and I wouldn't touch one.. steering by guesswork(tm), scared me witless. I'd be very curious to try a Series Hawk - just because 80hp in a car the size of a Snipe or Imperial seems painfully low, the same as a Sceptre I'm fact and 3 less gears to boot.
I had three sceptres one with the H120 engine and that was really quick (would have been nice if someone told me.. 3000rpm od top in a sceptre is 60mph, but it's 85mph in a Sceptre H120!), it didn't really do crumple zones, although I hate to think what it'd do to a modern car in a collision - saw a Scenic hit by a Landrover once, only at 30mph - scenic looked like it'd be hit by a couple of land mines!
they did do 6 sceptre v8 mules with the 289cui Ford, but when Chrysler bought them out they were kyboshed. shame because the 318 would have probably fitted.. and that would have put the cat among the pidgeons.
But for something with the aerodynamics of a small stately home which wasn't exactly light, it still averaged 37mpg.. and survived spitting its oil plug out at 70mph..