View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Would it be worthwhile to install a fuse into a lawnmower?

Last week, I tried mowing Mom's lawn with her electric mower, but when it hit the tall grass, it died, and blew the circuit. When I tried again, it just kept blowing the circuit. The bridge rectifier showed continuity, so I ordered a new one.

That was as frustrating as any of my projects. I struggled to get all of the clippings out of the screw holes, not wanting to strip the heads, but they were already stripped. I tried some different screw extractors, but the good ones tore apart the screws, so I drilled them out, and damaged the plastic housing, which was full of grass.

Somehow I do not think packing clippings around electronics is a great idea.

I checked Slickdeals to see if they had anything good for lawnmowers. They didn't, but someone commented "FYI - make sure you get the right amperage extension cord for your devices."

The neighbors said the houses up there did not have the right amperage. Do I need to plug the lawn mower into the outlet for the oven or dryer?

Would it be worthwhile installing a fuse into the mower so it does not blow the house circuit? Would it be better to replace her outside outlets with GFCIs?

Thanks!