View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #156 (permalink)
ishiyakazuo
Test Tool Engr.

Red Rocket - '02 Honda Civic LX Sedan
90 day: 33.57 mpg (US)

Bronze Bucket - '98 Toyota Corolla VE
90 day: 34.97 mpg (US)

Silver Bullet - '06 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 31.58 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Right now we are at over 12k of codebase, pretty close to the point where things will start flaking out. I think if we try and do elm AND iso AND injectormonitor that we will definately break.
Ah, that's an important piece of info.
Good thing AT90CAN has 32k of flash minimum...

Quote:
The one thing I can think of to keep the codebase together on the reusable bits (lcd and buttons) and allow us to have ifdefs to minimize code size AND still be cut and paste, is for me to put a bit of php (or shtml or whatever) together that will basically prepend a #define to the file depending on url parameters to say (Oh, the user clicked on the elm327 version).
That sounds really good as far as keeping things together.

Quote:
The other thing to consider though, is that all these ifdefs are going to make things even more incomprehendable for your beginner programmer. Maybe the php thingie needs to stitch the actual code together? Anyway, I'll be happy to solve it, whatever it is, when there is a real reason to do so (i.e. here's a second working thing that we actually need to maintain)
If the code is being actively modified by multiple people, stitching it together on the fly will present a problem on check-ins. I agree about #ifdefs cluttering up code, which is why I was saying that it would be nice to have a "get me this PID" function that, once it works, you just don't touch it, and the #ifdefs are strictly in that function. (The injector monitor version could emulate PIDs as well, just to keep things consistent.) Anyway, you're right, it's a solution to a currently non-existent problem.

Quote:
re: ISO hardware, keep the LCD pinout and buttons the same for now, and keep the additional hardware to an absolute minimum (couple transistors and caps, etc) and use all through-hole if possible.
Trust me, you don't need to tell me twice about this one RBBB is my Arduino of choice for a reason. I'm planning on building the injector monitor version and just adding the ISO connection to the UART.