View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Reel mowers aren't worth the hassle. They don't do a good job cutting, don't mulch, and take too long. That said, you can often find them free, and they are satisfying to use the first time.
I slowly drive a car with a manual transmission and manual steering.

I do many things the hard way.

Quote:
The rougher right end of this blade of grass was cut by a gas-powered rotary mower, whereas the smoother left end was cut by a reel mower.
Curses! I thought I had taken enough precautions to make sure I did not lose what I was writing, but somehow I posted partway through, and thus lost the rest of what I wrote!

Now with no sources!

Pushing a reel mower uses 153 calories in twenty minutes. Gas mowers only use 115. How do reel mowers only use 38 calories and 33% more? How many calories does the gas mower itself burn? Gas contains 31,500 calories per gallon and while there are too many variables in play, many people say they use about a gallon an hour. Therefore 10,500 calories in twenty minutes, and I would be 276x as efficient!

Someone commented the day before he left for college his dad bought a riding mower and said "Teenage boys turn free room and board into cut grass." Somebody else wrote that if you are concerned about the fuel economy of your lawn mower you area not ready for home ownership.

Kids say the darnndest things!

Toolgirl borrowed three mowers and found that a normal push mower used 1.7 gallons and 3 hours to mow her lawn of unspecified size, the 36" riding mower took 1.8 gallons and 1.5 hours, and the 54" rider took 1.9 gallons and 30 minutes.

I forget what else I posted. You guys got off easy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reel-mower-clean-grass-cut-590.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	22611  

Last edited by Xist; 09-06-2017 at 12:24 PM..