View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
freddyzdead
EcoModding Lurker

@BLSTIC The thing is, all the Copens in UK and Europe that are the same year as mine, they all have OBDII. There is a procedure I found for programming new keys, which involves shorting two pins on the OBD plug. I was fascinated by this idea, as my car came with only one key. But when I tried it, nothing happened. I have no doubt that the Australian copens have had the OBD functions cut out of them, but like I said, I have no idea why. I have wondered what would happen if I got an engine ECU from the UK and put it in my car, if it would suddenly acquire OBD. Not sure, because this car has little computers all over the place; for the roof, windows, ABS, immobiliser, and others, besides the engine one, and I believe they all talk to each other.

I always wanted a Mighty Boy. Or perhaps a Honda 'Z'. I've got a sort of fascination with minimalistic sorts of transportation. I had a 1984 Suzuki Carry, which I really liked, but I got tired of putting engines in it. My last car was an '03 Sirion, and a 1991 Charade before that. Loved them both. I've also got a self-balancing unicycle, and a two-wheel "hoverboard". The latter threw me off a year and a half ago and gave me a shredded rotator cuff, so I haven't been back on it since. I've now got about 80% function back in the shoulder. No surgery. They wanted to do a total shoulder joint replacement. Eek!

Anyway, I agree I should be getting better economy than I am, if I were to drive it somewhat sedately; although this is fairly well impossible, because the little thing just wants to go. I wondered how it would drive without the turbo, and one day a piece of the air filter got sucked in and jammed the turbo. The car drove like it was powered by 600cc - no power. Gave me a fright, I thought the turbo had failed. Fished out the piece of debris and it was fine again. I could try driving it like a granny for a tankful, but I don't think that's possible. Especially with the roof down.

@cRiPpLe_rOoStEr Maybe the turbo kei cars are thirstier because it's hard to rein them in, as I've found.

And yes, the two kinds of gallon do muddy things quite a bit. Km/L I can live with. Since the tank holds exactly 30L, and I get near enough to 400km on a tankful, it's easy to work out. But it's when the numbers aren't nice and round that I lose the plot.

I find the doings of the Europeans rather mystifying. They seem to be obsessed with Diesels. I suppose it's good, because there's been a lot of development, and diesels aren't belching black smoke like they used to. I can see a diesel making sense if the fuel is half the price, but here diesel is the same price as petrol, or even more.