View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 11:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
In the UK diesel used to be cheaper than petrol, deliberately so by taxation. Add to that the far better mpg (or should that be Km/L) and it was very attractive. Then, once the suckered people in, they removed the tax incentive. Now it is dearer than petrol.
Considering that the Great Britain is surrounded by the sea, it does surprise me that algae-based biodiesel (which could eventually be blended with fish liver oil-based biodiesel) ain't taken so seriously as an alternative to match the demand and keep the costs at a reasonable point while also decreasing the dependence on petroleum.

Quote:
But forget about the clean exhausts. I followed a 5 year old Passat diesel the other day and it was belching out black reek.
Are you sure that Passat hadn't been illegally chip-tuned and straight-piped in order to enable it to "roll coal"?

Quote:
I enjoy minimalist cars as well.
Some of those minimalist cars are actually quite interesting, while povertry-spec versions of regular ones are not so attractive at all.

Quote:
My favourite car I ever owned was a FIAT 126,594 cc, air cooled twin. 23 bhp. Huge fun to drive. You had to work it like a big truck.
I never drove any of those, but they seem to be quite cool.