Thread: Prius MPG
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
broski499
EcoModding Apprentice

Boltar - '19 Chevy Bolt LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
Most people just drive them comfortable in the knowledge that their lack of effort will still be rewarded with 40+mpg combined.

If you're using your mpg readout, it could be inaccurate. If you're doing per tank fill-ups, you need to record distance and fuel over 5 fill-ups. The bladder in the pre-2010 Prius makes them notoriously inaccurate when trying to do a per tank mpg calculation.

Out of about 100 Gen 2 Prius drivers I have encountered, most get low to mid-40s.

Watch for oil consumption. Check it frequently until you get a handle on how much you're burning. If the warning light ever flickers on and off, add oil immediately. Do NOT overfill.
What kills me is short commutes and I live in a hilly area. My lifetime average is 45mpg. I really have had to work for this. I havn't done any mods yet. I use a ultraguage and I find that is is pretty close to being accurate once I calibrated it.

The fuel tank bladder makes for very interesting tank to tank fill ups. I find that it will ding me with a low mpg one week then my next fill up I'll get way better than expected. Basically evening itself out. Kind of annoying.