Thread: Electric ATV
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
I am in the process of reviving 4 Polaris EVs (2011) that were surplus from a salt mine. The driveline is a 3 phase 48V AC motor and a gearbox/rear differential in a compact package. The AC Controller is a 650A air-cooled Sevcon Gen 4 with a custom firmware built to drive the Polaris dash.

I think the tongue weight is rated at 500 lbs and trailer towing is about 1500 lbs.

So far, I would have no trouble recommending the motor/gearbox/CV axles/wheels etc.

The controller is picky about power up sequence, throttle voltage levels ... I'm working through it. I had one running but am working through some *SERIOUS* corrosion issues on electrical connections.

I see no issues with replacing the Sevcon with Paul's AC Controller (you could scale back on the components) for DIY. I plan to install my 1200 amp, 400V version of Paul's AC Controller on one of them, just to see what kind of fun can be had .. at 48VDC for the pack ... It has a full roll cage .. and seat belts ..

A less expensive and perhaps more available option is the Club Car Carryall series of golf-cart based utility vehicles. They are 48V DC machines with a bit less torque but I use one on my acreage to move plants, wood chips, gravel, etc.

EDIT: It has a 2 inch ball hitch, but no receiver like the Polaris. I know it will haul about 1000 lbs, but am not sure if I am overloading it.

I only have 5 acres so I'm never that far from power and I'm never driving for more than a few minutes at a time. There is a robust after-market in motor/gearboxes and higher power controllers to fit, or you can convert to 4wd (the one I use is 4wd) with various kits. Paul's DC controller would work as a DIY for the Carryall. I haven't tried my IGBT DC controller in the carryall as yet. It might be a tight squeeze. Paul's controller is much larger than the ALLTRAX that I am using now.

You can build a Carryall from golf cart salvage parts if you are so inclined.

Many of the newer golf carts are using AC motors now. It seems that DC is used indoors for cleaning equipment now, and everything that is golf cart sized and larger is going to AC.

Last edited by thingstodo; 09-14-2017 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Add hauling for Carryall