View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne224 View Post
I'm taking calculus I. How do I relate this question to calculus? I have a vague idea of what the relationship is but not regarding calculus if there is one.
Thank you for your help.
I suspect the hardest part will probably converting the BSFC for a given engine into a purely mathematical formula that has a high enough correlation to the real BSFC of that engine .. Calculus needs the pure math formula to work with first .. You can't do calculus on the picture/graph 1st , you have to convert it to pure math 1st.

The rest is just combining all the relevant formulas .. and imputing all the variable data for a given engine , vehicle , environmental conditions ,etc.

At it's core .. acceleration is just the rate (power) at which some source of input energy (fuel) is being converted into kinetic energy of motion (minus all the sources of drag (Aero, Rolling, Gravity, etc) that are bleeding applied power/energy away).

The BSFC for given conditions tells you what the conversion efficiency is .. for fuel to shaft .. for any given rate of torque/force/RPM/Power/Energy .. that you need to achieve some desired rate of acceleration.