View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
JockoT
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
In the UK the car is insured, but only for a named driver or several named drivers. If someone else drives my car that as fine, as long as my car is insured, and they have insurance for their car!
We are advised not to carry our insurance documents in the car, to avoid identity theft.
All UK vehicles are on an insurance database, which the police access, so they know when they stop a car whether it is insured and who is entitled to drive it. Their ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) system, fitted to all traffic cars and rapid response vehicles, checks every car they pass and sounds an alarm if there is no insurance or if other markers in place (keeper known criminal, outstanding reports etc). They will then decide whether to stop the vehicle.
There obviously are times when a car flags up as uninsured, when in fact it is, and then further investigation is required, such as phoning the driver's insurance company, contacting their employer (if a company vehicle) and the like.
The car is not permitted to proceed until proof of insurance is verified. If that is not forthcoming the car is impounded and only released when a valid certificate of insurance is provided. There are quite onerous charges for this "service". If no insurance is produced then the car goes to the crusher.