View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #294 (permalink)
freddyzdead
EcoModding Lurker

My Greencaps have finally arrived. I found that out of the box they varied from 6 to 54 millivolts across them. Charging them one-by-one, starting at 3.3 amps, they took around 40 minutes to reach 2.5 volts. But 2 of them seemed to get to 2.5 volts while still drawing 1.4 amps. Not sure what's going on there. Or why they all had different charges on them initially. I'm leaving them overnight to see what they get to in the morning.

At one of my work places, I had a couple of 1uF 50,000 volt capacitors stored in a corner. Those things were lethal. They were used in a portable x-ray machine; They would be charged up and then discharged through the X-ray tube, producing a burst of X-rays. Fully discharged, and left to themselves, after a few days they would have several kV on them. Nasty bite. This would happen repeatedly, they would continually charge themselves up unless you fitted a shorting strap, which I certainly did after getting a few big surprises. I couldn't figure out where they were getting the electrons from. Must have been a bunch of loose ones lying around in the bottom.