View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 02:00 AM   #297 (permalink)
freddyzdead
EcoModding Lurker

My Greencaps arrived a couple of days ago; I've been testing them ever since. The balance board arrived the next day, which was good timing.

I was having a bit of trouble making sense of what I had, but I now see that one of them is exhibiting excessive self-discharge. 2 hours after being charged to 2.5 volts, it has dropped to under 1 volt. This is obviously unacceptable, and I have requested a new one from the ebay seller.

The remaining ones appear ok; I was stupid for not ordering at least one extra to deal with this eventuality. The balance board has a LED for each cap; I'm not sure if the LED is used as voltage sensor, or just as an indicator. 3 of them tend to come on consistently more often than the others. The one at the location of the suspect cap never comes on. Not surprising.

I see on our local ebay, a Maxwell 165F 48V capacitor for AU $1,625.00. Admittedly, it's big and beefy, but still, it's over $90 per cell. Comes to about US$1200. Is that right? Or is it further proof of how overpriced everything is in this country?

@Enki I was only kidding about the electrons lying around on the bottom. The only place it could have gotten them was by plucking them out of the air.