View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #39 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmaybury@yahoo.com View Post
Lpg only or lpg fumigation on a diesel engine?
Spark-ignited converted from gasoline-only to bi-fuel gasoline/LPG.

Quote:
Lpg by itself doesn't have the btu content other fuels have, but it is cheap, so might be economical. A small quantity in a diesel engine is supposed to speed up the burn and help burn some of the diesel fuel that would otherwise go unburned out the tailpipe. There is definitely room for improvement on my old dodge trucks. If it's true, I should see an increase in efficiency and a decrease in hc out the tailpipe. I already have a dramatic power increase and a few subtle improvements like sound reduction and smoke reduction. The smoke reduction points to a more complete burn.
Even though it doesn't have an outstanding BTU content, the cooling effect it proportionates when fumigated at the intake stream is worth, acting quite like a chemical intercooler. And since it's more volatile than Diesel fuel, sure it's likely to increase the flame spread throughout the combustion chambers, leading to a more accurate burn which not just decreases overall emissions but also take more benefit of the energy content of the Diesel fuel. Considering that Diesel usually runs leaner for the sake of economy, that extra amount of fuel supplied through LPG fumigation won't be too much of a problem. Eventually, if you were not into LPG fumigation as a power booster, could trim the Diesel fuel injection down a little without any decrease to performance or any side-effect on emissions compared to stock.

Quote:
I'm going to search out the mb steam thread. Sounds interesting.
I'd only consider adding steam in a Diesel if you do it as a replacement to EGR. You might know, hot gases flowing through the intake tract while still expanding are likely to decrease the dynamic compression, which may affect the ability of the Diesel engine to generate enough aerodynamic heating of the intake charge.