View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #35 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
They would get sued if they put the ratings higher and there was an accident. People sue car makers here all the time and win for what is clearly fault and neglect of the drivers involved. The people involved have limited money and the jurors see a crying family and big stack of money and give them a little peice of it.

I don't think the 6.7 injectors are indestructible but some injector places have put out their failure rate is 10 times less than the 5.9 common rail injectors are or ever have been. The 5.9 CR injectors are the one big black eye in the history of Cummins diesels in pickups. I would have probably not bought any 03-08 knowing how bad and how expensive the problem. The poor factory filtration didn't help matters but clearly the injectors needed an upgrade as well which they did on the 6.7.

It's good for me that so many love the pre-emission CR 5.9 anyway. Makes my old tired motor worth as much as a much fresher 6.7 out of a wreck. I probably will just sell the whole truck before it needs injectors and just get the better cab as well with the 2010up model. I have got my truck up to 20.9 mpg on a tank not towing and 12.5 towing the big camper so was pretty happy about that. My wife doesn't like the space much inside though.
Ratings don't have legal force. Period. We (everyone) runs oilfield loads way past "ratings". Except the ones that matter: tire/wheel/axle. Commercial enforcement. Insurance. The two forces that drive things.

The idea that some jury is going to make an award based on interpretation of "ratings" is hooey. The cause of accidents isn't anything to do with weight, it's driver error. Every time. Insurance covers, and everyone goes home. If not, find examples. This Internet UNtruth has been floating around for years. I've been towing over forty five years. Privately and commercially.

As to injectors. They wear out. Big truck or small. That the rate may be different between engine generations is plausible. Dodge finally made three fuel filter fuel
Cleaning by 2013 IIRC. Still at one on my '04, and supposedly that is not to Bosch standard.

But on an engine with a 350k expected life (10,000-hr at 35-mph average) one has to look at engine hours versus miles. Low mph = earlier failure. A 35-mph average is higher than nearly all owners experience. Lucky to hit thirty.

Injectors aren't going to last the life of the motor in that case. X-gallons point has been reached. 200k is about it on a 5.9 in most cases. Id wonder about the 6.7 being much better. That they "work" versus how well they work is the real question in my mind.

Those replacing injectors prematurely are those who dog the truck, alter the software and treat it poorly. Look at the annual average mpg reported (15) and you see treating it like a toy doesn't pay. The guys who ran them commercially of my acquaintance nearly always made it to near 300k before starting to replace injectors as needed. But those trucks were at the end of their service life. Oilfield is hell.

Oh, yeah. Truck rated at 20k GCVWR. We nearly always were above 30k. All those miles.

If you have a link to a discussion on 6.7 vs 5.9 injectors, I'd appreciate it. Thx