View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 02:34 AM   #38 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I don't think they care about the air quality, if anything they like it as it keeps people from getting old. Otherwise they would be making old people into Soylent Green or something.
I think developing countries skipped landlines because of cost, not because it's better or cleaner technology. If you don't already have the lines it just costs more to add them then cell towers. Cost will always be the driver in developing countries.
China's wealth comes from industrial production.

Healthy workers means better production.

Air quality is one of the big problems the government is tackling and taking seriously.

-

Cabled internet and... errh... cable... is more reliable and quicker than wireless.

Landlines are not more expensive (on the consumer side). It's just that a smartphone is more useful as a communications device than a landline.

-

A bit like: "Why would I still want to install a telegraph when I could have a telephone, instead."

-

Back in the 80's, our only means of intertown communication was via CB radio. Landline telephony didn't reach our town then.

-

I just had a phone installed. An actual, honest-to-goodness telephone. After living in this country for nearly thirty eight years.

One of the great barriers to information infrastructure (in this country, at least) is transport infrastructure. It's hard to string out a cable or erect a cell tower when there are no roads going where you want to set it up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (09-30-2017), sendler (09-29-2017)