View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 08:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
RAV4 EV
Tesla Inside

Hey Guys,

I'm still around just got really busy and sick, mostly busy. Had to deal with some pending debt, but that is done with so I got some time on my hands. Over time I was thinking about maybe choosing a trailer, flat bed type, and creating a super long card board boat tail on top of it that I could tow with me everywhere I go. Then I found out my RAV4 EV is not meant to tow around trailers, which is weird because the gas version can and its the exact same chassis, plus it would seem that I would be totally liable if I were to get into a car accident .

So, after wasting much time with that I ended up back where I started. So, I think that for the boat tail I could install a trailer hitch and add a cargo trailer from harbor freight. Use that as a base to mount the boat tail and also have a place to hold extra cargo; which I actually need because I usually carry around a lot of cargo stuff in my rav4 ev.

For the tail lights I would love to be able to move them to the back end of the boat tail and be able to have a full contour boat tail shape.

Firstly though I still need to figure out the boat tail length. Like someone suggested I will likely truncate the boat tail at the end specially since @ 80% boat tail length you get about the same aero benefit like 100% boat tail length.

My original template was calling for about an 11 feet long boat tail, but it looked like I had not adjusted it right. I did post a second set of pictures where I try to adjust it, but I never did get any feedback on if I had the bottom part of the template aligned properly.

The main confusion was if I had to align the bottom part of the template with the bottom part of the rav4 at the template bottom wheel fin or the template under body:

UNDER BODY

BOTTOM WHEEL FIN

I think that the top part of the body is now right after I did the correction for that. The kamback does get cut out some after the adjustment, but someone did mention that the Kamback could be reattaching flow from the mirrors and that I should not remove it. If you look at it carefully the template that aligns the bottom wheel fin instead of the template under body cuts more into the kamback.

So which template do you guys think would better suggest the right full boat tail length for the rav4 ev?