View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #1845 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Not a motorcycle, but the Suzuki Alto K10. Starts at around $5,300 in India.
Unfortunately they're not THAT cheap in Uruguay, but occasionally I still see some with Uruguayan plates roaming around in Porto Alegre.

Quote:
The Chery 1.0 (which is, not coincidentally, based on a Daewoo 1.0, which is based on an older Suzuki) is sold in the US for use in UTVs, so EPA certification is certainly possible without a lot of trouble.
You mean the engine used in the Chery QQ?

The 3-cyl 800cc might be the same, but Chery often claims its engines were developed in a partnership with an Austrian engineering company.

Quote:
The Chinese, in the meantime, have developed and built dozens of different three-wheel "car alternatives" that cost peanuts. Fulu still sells the same three wheeler I tested over a decade ago... still at around $3,000 wholesale.
I've already seen some of those Chinese 3-wheeled "car alternatives" in Uruguay, but the ones I saw were meant as an alternative to those car-based mini trucks made in Brazil. For passenger transport, the Indian models based in the Piaggio Ape were less successful, altough similar models and others with a more car-like cabin had been increasingly popular in Peru and Colombia.