View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
mikesheiman
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Your CFD modeling of the interior is probably inadequate. CFD in general requires supercomputer levels of compute power. The modeling is not representative and the resolution is too coarse. Sorry.
Hmm...well is there free modelling software around that can handle it?
I may not have a super computer, but do have an 8 core I7 I use for music and hobbiest scientific processing.

Here is another pic of the car/trike. Problem with my model vs. your suggestion I see is how to apply it to a car with open wheel wells in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
You might CFD model the intake or exhaust port. Or you could observe best practices in the field. NACA ducts for intake, but they don't help on exhaust. Etc.
That's exactly it...I can't seem to find any best practices on cabin exhaust. It seems the top-center of the rear canopy may be a good exhaust point, but ditto for the bottom center right behind the plenum formed in the rear center where the rear wheel and (indeed electric) motor are.

My concern with exhausting it top center of the rear canopy is wouldn't that change/disrupt the flow of quick moving air at the top-rear of the car, causing the airflow from the bottom to circle back into a vacuum in the top rear area. Or, again, I'm wondering if that effect is not real, but just a problem with the Flow Illustrator wind tunnel simulator.

Would you recommend a top/center outlet over a bottom/center one? Or where on the photo, for example, would you recommend it?

Right now I'm using a Mars ME1003 motor, which delivers about 15-20 HP continuous without overheating at about 150-200 amps with 72v (using a high-end golf-cart motor controller, the Alltrax SR72550). People take telling me to get a bigger motor , but my ideal goal is to make it haul 4 people to 60 mph using just that amount of power e.g. efficiently . It may not be an eVLC (I wish I had the skills to fabricate that sort of avian shape), but the fact an eVLC did the job with a similarly powered motor gives me some hope.

I'll probably repost this with global/album pics...soon as I get some background learning from this thread so I don't test people's patience too much with my novice-ness.