View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 03:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malykaii View Post
While one article mentions that it should increase mpg simply by cutting .4 L off the motor, it also mentions that I'd need a different cam shaft and roller rockers to match. So sounds like $1,000 in parts to save $300 in gas. Plus if I understand correctly, your saying that I'd have to rev the engine higher to compensate for lost torque, making me use more fuel and ultimately defeating the purpose.
Depending on the cam profile and the intake and exhaust manifolds, it might decrease the engine's tendency for going rev-happy and improve low-end torque. Otherwise, yes, you'd have to over-rev it and resort to a lower diff ratio in order to get a similar overall performance.

Quote:
The 4.2 v6 sounds like a rad idea! Looks like it shares the same bell housing bolt pattern as a 302, so it would almost bolt right up! Also, wouldnt a t5 out of a mustang be a better geared trans for that or do you think the f150 truck trans would be better suited.
Since trucks usually have a wider gear spread, it might not compromise too much the take-off when you resort to a higher rear-end ratio.