View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 03:26 AM   #97 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmaybury@yahoo.com View Post
Off topic question for cripple rooster. A friend was in Brazil on holiday and told me about some great 4 cylinder diesel toyota pu trucks he said were all over the place. I'll bet you can squeeze some great economy out of them. They do not offer those for sale in the us. For some reason diesels are limited here. I've had gassers my whole life and recently bought two diesel 3/4 ton trucks and can never go back. My guess is that 50 mpg should be easy to get with a small pu and a 4 banger di turbo diesel. What are your thoughts?
Where in Brazil had your friend been? When it comes to the truck, I see you're talking about the Hilux, which is itself available in Mexico in gasser RWD versions only. Most of them in Brazil are 4X4 and turbodiesel. Since the single-cab ones are used mostly for work, Diesel is standard for them, while the double-cab is available as a gasoline/ethanol flexfuel. Automatic transmission, at least here, is available only for the double-cab.

I have already driven a previous-generation one, a double-cab with a turbodiesel engine and automatic transmission. Here's a picture of a single-cab one with an utility body that I spotted 4 years ago in Alegrete, near the Brazil-Uruguay border:

When it comes to mileage, 50MPG seems quite unrealistic. In a good day it might get some 35MPG in highway.