View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #36 (permalink)
Merlyn2220
Deep Lurker

Creepy Van - '95 Ford E150 Cargo
90 day: 14.45 mpg (US)
So here’s a summary of the “rear shell” and other changes since fall of 2016:
  • Larger rear tires with a 15.8% gear reduction = no change in fuel economy. Any gains were offset by the wider tread (225 vs 285) and resulting worse aerodynamics.
  • Removing the giant 3 point towing mirrors and replacing with 2003+ paddle style = 5% improvement in FE. Also drastically easier to draft and keep up speed on the highway.
  • Adding a driver’s side axle-axle bellypan = no change in FE, likely because you really need front-back to see a significant improvement.
  • Having a failing 25-30psi fuel pump = 10% better FE. I didn’t have an AFR meter at the time, but I bet it was running really lean.
  • Addition of a squared-off rear shell = 5% worse FE.
  • Completed driver’s side side skirts (with rear shell unchanged) = 10% improvement in FE
  • Addition of huge Class IV rear hitch = 5% worse FE
  • A/C use = 4.5% worse FE
  • Changing rear shell from squared off to ~12 degree taper = 5% improvement in FE
  • Driving ~60-65mph due to overheating = 7% better FE than driving 70-80mph
  • 180F thermostat vs 195F thermostat = 2% worse, likely no significant change
  • Completely removed rear shell taper = within 1% of the 4” long 12 degree “short taper” but noticeably less stable in crosswinds and while drafting

I’m currently at about 14.8mpg and easily keeping up with 70-80mph traffic. Driving 60mph on the highway here is, like almost everywhere, extremely risky. I turn into a rolling roadblock that only causes problems for myself and other drivers who are expecting consistent traffic flow while texting. A ~7% improvement in FE is not worth risking my life on a daily basis, and it causes me to be unable to meet my delivery schedules.

Modifying the rear shape to add taper was spectacularly unsuccessful and a complete waste of time. The only thing I’ve concluded is that a “trip line” like used on the back of a Volt or Prius does seem to help highway stability. It’s especially noticeable when drafting a semi, where the alternating left-right vortexes coming off the semis push the van a LOT. I did get a chance to draft a semi with the “TrailerTails” installed, and it was quite a bit nicer on me, with a lot less buffeting.

A couple of other interesting conclusions:
  • Adding a big honkin’ hitch to the back, dangling out in free air is pretty noticeable.
  • Changing the thermostat from 195F (stock) to 180F made almost no difference.
  • Running lean due to a failing fuel pump is *probably* a significant improvement

One thing I noted is the consistency from tank-tank when I did a few back-back with no changes. Some people have said you have to run 2-3 tanks to be sure that the mileage is consistent. I’m filling a 35 gallon tank, so 1 of mine = 2 for most vehicles, and 3 for some like my Miata. So unless I get really odd numbers due to traffic jams I’m going to go back to 1 tank = 1 mod.
The Following User Says Thank You to Merlyn2220 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-14-2017)