View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
JockoT
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
I have been working on my highway driving technique and have come up with what is a "sort" of Pulse and Glide which works for my car and on Scottish roads.
I am currently monitoring instantaneous MPG and Manifold Absolute Pressure on my ScanGauge E (Average MPG shows as a bar graph too), and the procedure I have found effective is to reach a comfortable speed then ease back on the throttle for a MAP of about 4 - 6 psig. Once the speed slowly drops back to what I consider the slowest suitable for the road and the traffic, I increase the throttle for a MAP of 11 - 12 psig. With that amount of throttle the speed happily builds back up to the top value and then I can repeat the process again.
Obviously I take advantages of down grades, by either DFCO or coasting, but most of the new highways around here have very slight grades, making use of cuttings and embankments.
I had an 86.7 mile journey this morning. Being a Sunday, the roads were not too busy, and a couple of stints behind big trucks helped me push my average mpg (as computed by the ScanGauge) to:
65.1 mpg (UK)
54.2 mpg (US)
4.34 Litres/100km

Pretty pleased with that.

The Following User Says Thank You to JockoT For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (10-16-2017)