View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #53 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dinich View Post
I like how your experience with a completely different vehicle that is significantly lighter presupposes we must not be driving our vehicle correctly.
Brakes are brakes, no? The amount of energy they need to dissipate is simply a matter of physics: mass * speed minus whatever is dissipated by engine braking.

As for being significantly lighter, 2017 Armada curb weight (4x4) 5822 lbs per Nissan's web site. 4x4 Toyota with cargo ~5000 lbs, so not that much difference unless you frequently tow a trailer.

Quote:
I will be sure to instruct the misses that our mountain is not an "actual mountain"...
Or you could come out west, and do a first-hand comparison :-) I did grow up not too far from there, so am familiar with what are called mountains thereabouts.

Quote:
...and all premature wear on the vehicle is entirely psychosomatic". Additionaly, I will instruct other armada and titan owners experiencing the same issue that premature rotor wear is just a conspiracy.
Well, I'd think a competent auto engineer would specify appropriately-sized rotors for the weight (including cargo/towing). If this is a consistent design flaw, maybe you need to take it up with the manufacturer.

But I'm more than a bit puzzled by the fact that your rotors wear. Brake pads, yes, but rotors? That seems like replacing your wheels because the tires are worn. Of all the vehicles I've owned, many of them pretty high mileage (my current 3 all have over 200K), the only time I've had to replace the actual rotors is when a previous owner let the pads wear down so far the rotors were scored.