View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
tcaud
EcoModding Lurker

Mr. Corolla - '02 Toyota Corolla CE
Meet Mr. Corolla

https://imgur.com/gallery/5u43T (warning: pics are detailed and bandwidth intensive)

I'd like to make him more fuel efficient and possibly greener.

- 2002 model
- 309k miles
- 30mpg avg per tank, about 80% city/20% highway
- Uses 5w20 synthetic oil and gets treated with additives by Midas
- body dents on right fender and back bumper, with a couple other minor dents around/on the doors. Also some rust issues along the wheel well. Not too worried about this because I consider him a beater. When time is right I'll get a full electric. In the meantime, I just paint over it. :P Do the dents
- The front wheels are missing hubcaps and the back wheel hubcaps have cracks. All the wheels are rusty (one is apparently bent by a margin) and I mean to replace them soon. I hear wheel weight plays a role in efficiency... how much? I think I can get replacement OEM hubcaps for cheap... would those be preferred or are the less stylish/grooved disc-like ones more aerodynamic/efficient?
- The back trunk is kept empty and the spare has been removed.

Hypermiling seems impossible in the suburbs of Cincinnati, where the roads are hilly and stop signs are encountered every quarter mile. I accelerate slow and try to coast to red lights. Looking for statistical gains thru mods, not changes in driving style. Also would love to cut his emissions. I use him for work so reduced driving isn't an option.

Last edited by tcaud; 10-19-2017 at 10:32 PM..