View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
tcaud
EcoModding Lurker

Mr. Corolla - '02 Toyota Corolla CE
Atkinson sounds interesting but also unaffordable. It comes down to the fact that the car is weathered... rusted as you can see in the photos. The rust is particularly bad along the wheels and the side trims, even through in some places (large chips of the wheel well have broken off). But the real kicker is the damage to the back, which would require replacing more than half the body paneling. To get this car where it would need to be for keeping long term... $5000 probably.

I looked at the wheel wells and noticed that the back tires protrude from them. Unless I installed well rims then it wouldn't be possible to cover them. Finding well rims for this model is a challenge in itself.

Looking at the front bumper, it's not clear at all where a dam would hang from. There is a grill in the middle and the area below it is thin, hollow, and angular... drill holes would probably destroy it. It's as though the designers went out of their way to make the design as unfriendly for FE mods as possible. I'd have to replace it with a thicker base and install a dam to the replacement, probably.

Regarding the suggestion of a spoiler above the rear window, I heard those actually decrease economy. Are you sure it would work? Also
@Freebeard you told me to discard the cracked hubcaps. Why do you recommend this?

@EDIT: I have an idea. Considering I have to display the license plate anyway, I can use the plate screw holes and make the dam very high up on the front bumper (starting at the middle). That will give me plenty of space. I could drill a couple holes on the sides and hold it that way. Still not sure what to do about the wheel skirts though, or if that's even a good idea if it can cause heat buildup around the break system...

Last edited by tcaud; 10-20-2017 at 01:43 PM..