View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
Panther140
Panther140

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr45 View Post
Small engine cars are already near full throttle whilst climbing hills at highway speed.
Good. Keep them at WOT and near/at peak torque while climbing. Coast down the other side of the hill.

Quote:
Several posters have indicated as much to you yet you keep repeating what is only applicable to large engine cars.
The sizing of the engine has nothing to do with it. Regardless of which car you are in, drive like Ecky and I are saying. It is the most efficient way. Get the work done with the engine at peak torque and WOT. Coast down the other side. Avoid wind drag.

Quote:
Actually, this is what you said.
As far as the amount of energy it takes to climb the hill, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you do it. It takes X amount of energy to move your vehicle up to the top of that hill, whether you're coasting or not.
Obviously if you encounter wind resistence while climbing the hill, you are going to burn more fuel. But the hill itself did not take more energy from the vehicle. That was the wind. Not the hill.

There is no indication that you are discounting aerodynamic drag!

I see. You assumed extra conditions when I specifically addressed the factor of grade resistance. Grade resistance, rolling resistance, wind resistance, and vehicle parasitic losses are all separate factors.

We are talking about grade resistance and how to leverage it most efficiently.

Last edited by Panther140; 10-20-2017 at 06:41 PM..