View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #427 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
People that are genetically unfit for survival are artificially assisted, and their bad traits are allowed to multiply. We take extensive measures to ensure that our weaklings survive and reproduce to make more weaklings.
I see this as the biggest problem. Population growth has been on the decline for some time, and I expect to see growth halt around the end of my lifetime. I have heard it said that the US would have a negative growth rate if we didn't have immigration, and Japan's population is in decline.

However, I see no solution on the horizon for the spread of unhealthy genetic traits. The best solution is very unpopular with people on both sides of the political spectrum, which would be gene selection or manipulation (designer babies). While gene diversity is critical for species survival, I can see no reason why bad eyesight or type 1 diabetes would be beneficial. We should probably just eliminate the easily recognizable detrimental genes, but the problem is the slippery slope.

As far as everyone becoming a farmer; I don't want to grow corn because I find it uninteresting. I'd rather go to Mars or explore the depths of the sea. The only way to discover the mysteries of the universe is to have an abundance of resources.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!