Thread: Yaaaar!
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 01:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Joseph Davis
Banned

Beater Deluxe v2.0 - '89 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 44.68 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Davis
I ended up not going with the cam, and ran a stock Civic HX head instead, effectively making my engine a beefier variant of the Civic GX's. Prurient details below:

D16A6 block
- LS rods
- GX pistons (12.5:1 CR when mated with a Y5 head)
- ACL bearings

HX aka D16Y5 head
- Called "VTEC-E 2" in the OEM parts literature
- roller rocker design

Induction
- D16Y8 intake manifold
- GSR 60mm throttle body
- future plans for a filter on a stick

Exhaust
- DC sports 4-1 header (I wanted 4-2-1, but it was free so meh)
- 2.5" exhaust off a wrecked car. Looks like high end muffler shop work, has cat built in.

Transmission
-ZC/Si hybrid, close ratio 1-4th with a .702 5th gear. Gearing equivalent to an Integra Hype-R, but I cruise in 5th gear 2000 rpms @ 45 mph/3000 rpms @ 70 mph.
- 12 lb flywheel for less rotational inertia (it came with a super low mileage OEM clutch for $75)

Control/misc
- eCtune to fiddle a 92-95 Civic/Integra ECU as I see fit
- 14point7.com JAW wideband for use in a closed loop lean burn system (installed but not enabled yet)
- water injection (pending)

Points of interest:

My IAT is fried. It reads 8-30 degrees F, which explains why the lean burn setup on the old stock B7 got stock (39-40) mpg where others gained 5-8 mpg from fiddling around like I did.

In the interest of thriftiness I decided to tune on 87 octane. I had some pinging at WOT below 1500 rpms due to software limitations keeping me from firing the mix any later than 6 degrees ATDC. I retarded the distributor and fudged the ECU mappings, found the pingies went away at 9 ATDC. Timing in that region is now set to 11.5 ATDC until I dyno the car next week. Power is acceptable, probably excellent given what the engine is. I estimate an amazing 115-120 whp.

I have 130 miles on the setup including some hellraising to seat the rings, a dozen and a half WOT pulls to set AFRs, and a 100 miles of cruising at 75-80 mph. My half tank mileage is 40.1 mpg, and the ECU is in open loop, haha. I'll implement lean burn closed loop, monitor mpg/bsfc both in and out of VTEC, and eventually install water injection. I'd like to do a front lip for aero reasons but I suspect I'd tear it off with how I use the vehicle like it's a truck.