View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 04:25 AM   #133 (permalink)
ronarprfct
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
If you're coasting engine off, doing anything other than rolling to a stop will lower your potential fuel economy. Yes, we're talking about tiny differences.

If you're idling and moving at a low speed, then yes, you should just go ahead and park.

The take-home message is: avoid the brake pedal. Parking is one time you may have the option of rolling to a complete stop because there's no set 'stop line' if you have flexibility on which spot you can choose.
My apologies, but it seems to me, if you are parking, coasting with the engine off, that the only way to make use of any momentum is potential parking. Using the brakes in that instance to get into your preferred parking spot(which would have to be one you could roll out of), would be no different from rolling into it(assuming it is the best place to park), as that speed and momentum is going to be lost-with the exception of what is stored as kinetic energy via PP-anyway. Unless it causes you to have to start up the engine again to make course corrections, just taking the first spot, assuming there is no difference in potential kinetic energy stored(higher parking space, greater incline), is no less efficient than orbiting. Correct me if I am wrong, but make sure I am before you correct me .