View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #97 (permalink)
HaroldinCR
EcoModding Apprentice

Freebeard, thingstodo might be the guy to ask about the VFD's. I was a power company lineman in New Jersey for 12 years and, believe me, no one wants to mess around with 1000V let alone power line voltages. As the voltage rises, it wants to go other places where it's not supposed to be. DC is even worse, because it is very difficult to extinguish.

There are a few drag racers that are about to go 1200V or more, but, how does one measure and build for this ??

Solid state transformers/ back in the day, we used to hear pole mounted transformers blow their lids off during hot spells. Many times we never found the lids. If you don't know how they are clamped to the tank, you have no idea of what pressure it takes to blow them things off. Can solid state handle the heat ?? If not, I can't see this as a viable solution.

We used to hook the poles and direct handle the 4800 delta lines using rubber gloves with protectors and wearing rubber sleeves. When the company switched to 7200/12500 Y system, we were half dead as soon as we stuck a hook into the pole. This is when I decided I needed to do something else to support my family.