View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
People think we're backwards for not having it here (much if at all), but I wouldn't use it. Taxi drivers are licensed, insured and accountable, at least.
Don't know how I let this one through, but Uber abides by every one of the criteria you listed (licensed, insured, accountable). How does one go about letting the community know about a bad taxi driver? In Uber, you leave a star rating and add a comment about what was good or bad about the experience.

In fact, my very nicely maintained car was denied due to tread below their minimum depth, and uneven brake wear.

If I feel a NY taxi driver placed my life at undue risk, how should I inform others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
The reasons given seem to hinge mainly on the fact they do not vet their drivers to the satisfaction of Transport for London and do not report serious crime reported to them.
Seemingly, a paedophile can lease a car and drive for Uber, without having to pass any scrutinisation. Even a bus driver, here in the UK, has to pass a Criminal Records check, to get a licence.
Eh, how much crime does a criminal background check prevent?

At one point, all criminals had a clean record, so just because someone doesn't have a public record of their misdeeds, doesn't mean they aren't engaged in them. If anything, a person with a criminal record would feel the pressure of extra scrutiny and be motivated to abide by the law.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!