View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #35 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallscaleH2 View Post
Those shorter tuktuks with a single bench indeed seem even better (and they're way cheaper, ie 125000 indian rupee or 1658 euro). They should allow cargo transport as well as there's a single bench, and there's space under the bench too. However, I haven't found any similar brands/models that are being sold in Europe and if you ship them from say India, costs will increase hugely. Perhaps the Piaggio Ape City might be sold in Europe as Piaggio is an Italian brand (although I doubt it since this model isn't available here appearantly) ? Another thing, as you already pointed out, is that the engines mounted are less powerful (200cc or less). Top speed is thus some 65 km/h which is too slow for highway use (although perhaps one could attain the minimum highway speed of 70 km/h with some aerodynamic improvements).
Engine RPM, power and torque curve, and gear ratio might play an important role when it comes to reaching highway-capable speed too. But anyway, I'd be more inclined to adapt some 250cc engine out of a Honda or Yamaha motorcycle. Considering the power and torque curves, matching it all to the right gearing, and eventually some very discrete aerodynamic improvement, that would be suitable to my country's road conditions.