View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #40 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.1 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
My '85 Civic came with a 6 Watt mono radio cassette player and one speaker in the left door only. There were wires to the right door but no speaker.
Moms actually had the radio removed as she was teaching evening courses in the worst parts of The Hague, and even that lousy mono radio would have been an excuse to have a window smashed.

10 years later I put a Sony 4x55 Watt radio with CD changer in the car and Boston Rallye 6.5" high end speakers and a couple of pounds of some weird Swedish audio dampening foam.

Each speaker was easily 20 times as heavy as the tinny speaker Honda put in, which had a hump on the back containing the coil and all less than one inch across.
The Boston magnet alone had a larger diameter than the whole Honda speaker. When I accidentally let it come within an inch of some metal part it pulled itself out of my hands and stuck with a bang. Had to pull with all my strength to free it.

The Insight OEM stereo system is probably not as good as my aftermarket system in that Civic, but in a totally different league compared to the Civic OEM thingy.
Times have changed.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 11-14-2017 at 03:44 AM..