View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid View Post
Windows XP and later were tied to the motherboard. Earlier versions were tied to the hard drive. So, if you change the motherboard, you may have a hard time reauthorizing Windows 7. Research this first to be sure this isn't an issue.
Thanks, I will look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Looks like it should be fine for your needs. You'll still have 2 RAM slots free, so you'll be able to add more in a few years for a midlife performance boost (if needed).

For your case idea, I would chop up an old case to utilize the mounting. You don't have a cat or other critters that would rub up on the bare motherboard, do you?
Ram slots, yeah, that is one reason I went with the MSI board I picked. Current use of my computer puts me in the 4-5 gig range. I can see that not being enough in years to come. Its nice to be able to upgrade later when ram is less expensive.

Good idea on chopping the case. I may do that. I actually did scrounge around the basement thinking I had an old case I could chop up. The alternative is 3d printing the mounting provisions which is my current plan. Once I get the motherboard (ordered last night), I will design the mounting system.

No pets of any sort, and it'll be tucked away behind the monitor, so it should be protected from bumps of any sort.