View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #80 (permalink)
ctmaybury@yahoo.com
EcoModding Apprentice

Did you address the 5th gear nut issue with the nv4500 before install? I had that tranny in my 95 chevy 2500 with no issues. In my 98 dodge 2500, a nut came loose and I lost 5h gear. No damage to the internals. The fix is simple and cheap, but easier with the tranny out. I don't know if they stake the threads., use locktight or use a nylock nut. Mine let loose when I was on a trip pulling my travel trailer, so I had a shop fix it. Someone on cumminsforum said it was vibrations from a diesel chugging along at low rpm that cause it to loosen. I drive like that often, and it sounds like you will too. Otherwise it is a great tranny tough enough for hard service.

I can't wait to see mpg numbers. I've only had gassers in my many gm trucks over the years, but am sold on diesels now. A friend had the 6.5 na in a pu and got fantastic mileage.

I hope you get a chance to work on the truck soon. I want to hear more about the mechanical injection pump. I have 2 24v dodges with the cummins 5.9, and on one of them I got rid of all computer control on the engine. It simplifies everything.